Temporarily non-locatable public space #1 – Nullah Road Sitting-out Area 臨時無定空間＃1－水渠道休憩處
streaming media 串流
A potential public space is selected as the geographical origin. A certain area of broadcast coverage by telecommunication network will be set up around the origin. A temporary live-streaming broadcast is accessible on-site.
Temporarily non-locatable public space #1 – Nullah Road Sitting-out Area
Although not bound within a specific public space, the artist locates his work within a certain ‘geographical origin’. Within its radius, a potential public space will be selected to ensure that it is within the broadcast coverage of the streaming media set up by the artist. Thus, locals and passersby who generally have access to this potential public area will also be able to access a temporary live-streaming on-site.
Using streaming media and a temporary sound station, the artist can maintain distance from the public space or choose to locate himself in another similar public space. Several ‘satellite points’ within the given radius will be pinned according to certain criteria.
This ‘floating sound station’ will remotely communicate the experience of one public space to another by means of mediated sound, as if one site is ‘superimposed’ with another to exemplify a compressed and prosthetic reality.
- field recording at another “sitting-out area” on the Leisure and Cultural Services Department’s list of (pre-recorded)
- live sound feed of the public space nearby the origin
- live interview with the people who are staying / passing by / using the facilities of the remote public space
reference MAP: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&hl=en&authuser=0&authuser=0&mid=zGRWZRKvVv2I.k_zKyP1JCVv8
recording coming soon
- Some observation that I used to have in the acoustic design in new “public space”
- masking effect will be adopted . e.g. Fountain (Peninsula hotel, Kowloon Park..) . As a good barrier to mask the low hum and traffic sound in the city.
- Artificial natural sound scape 人造園林聲效 e.g. Tama park (near LegCo) , The new garden in some rehab centre. Usually very Lo-Fi and fake. but it does make interaction with some real bird and real insects sometimes.
- the background / foreground composition
- transurbanism:”Our experience of place and its locational certainty is superimposed across other places. one lives n more than one place.”
- How the shape of the public space shaped our sense / imagination towards public space
- How is the other “public space” has been set up in Hong Kong?
some rough research process
In order to keep the constrain that I am not allowed to be in the site of Nullah Road. I turned into researching the Nullah Road via the simlar place [ literally, nor conceptually…] according to those documents online. I guess I won’t go for a quantitative research.. but I want to visit most of them and take a few recordings for some basic material as the study.considering Nullah Road Sitting area as the origin. Here is the 1 mile radius area :
and then I spotted some possible public space around Nullah Road, within the 1-mile-radius area:
of course there are still many possible “public space” within that area
- live mixing of some recorded materials that I pre-collected in the list of “public space”
- interviewing the people who is being in the space I am in, which is a reference space.
- portable sound pick up gear
- FM transmitter (transmission distance: within 1mile) (ref: http://world.taobao.com/item/14999113311.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700824.w4002-1171974802.93.xHU3yR)